Since its inception, social media has changed the face of communication altogether. Nowadays almost every person has an account on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, and if the stats are to be believed, then an average internet user spends 2 hours daily on social media. These figures show how important social media marketing can be for a business. If done correctly, it is bound to improve your company’s outreach and sales figures. However, many businesses fail to understand its importance and make common mistakes that mostly result in the loss of conversions. Let’s take a brief look at what these mistakes are and what steps should be taken to prevent them.
1) Spamming the audience: The worst thing that a business can do is continually spam the audience with emails or automatic links. The increase in social media platforms has led to a bombardment of promotions on the audience by almost every organization. Everyone tries to promote their products or services by sending repetitive offers with the same content. As a result, possible leads tend to lose interest in you which often leads to ignoring your emails and marking them as spam. This can heavily affect your business and even generate bad reviews. This can be avoided by not sending repetitive messages and using a subtle approach for promoting your business.
2) Not having CTA: Call to action (CTA) is one of the most vital elements that can lead to better conversion rate and profit. Businesses often forget that the CTA lays a foundation of the organization’s success. If CTA is not attractive, it fails to generate curiosity about the business in the audience’s mind and they may choose to just skip it. You need to develop a CTA that has actionable words like “register”, “get your free trial” etc. For example, Netflix intelligently takes you to the option where they offer a one-month free trial to the audience. By doing this, the audience can get a brief idea about Netflix’s services, which would in turn boost conversion rates.
3) Unattractive Landing Page: Once the audience answers to your CTA, the first thing they will be directed to is going to be your landing page. Thus it is very important to properly design a landing page as it becomes an important factor in generating leads and converting them into your customers. An unattractive landing page is enough to affect your conversions as people get frustrated if they find the page difficult to navigate or unresponsive in some cases. To avoid this, businesses must efficiently design and optimize the landing pages and focus on providing clarity.
4) Absence of professional methods: This is another way which can make your audience think twice about your business. Creating informative content, flashy advertisements and enticing emails are one thing but creating them error free is a different thing altogether. If the emails that you send to your audience have plenty of grammatical errors, then you are bound to lose your brand image. Apart from this, unprofessional content can also lead to loss of conversions. To avoid such scenarios, you should always cross check the content that you send over social media for any grammatical or punctuation errors and even unprofessional language.
5) Absence of Social Media Marketing team: Social media marketing is a huge domain and needs a lot of workforces to execute it. Many businesses dedicate the task of social media marketing to a single person which results in catastrophic damage. This can be avoided by having a dedicated team that can effectively plan and develop the content and design required for the promotions. Having a team also ensures that every individual from that team will be working on a specific task and timely completion will be guaranteed. For example, one person from the team works on LinkedIn, the other works on Twitter or Facebook and so on. With a dedicated social media marketing team, your business can connect with multiple platforms and boost conversions.
6) Ignoring the importance of analytics: Social media marketing is not only limited to developing engaging content for the audience but also involves tracking and analyzing that content. Analytics play a very important role in any business. Tracking your posts gives you an idea about which posts are getting more attention and which posts can be discarded without having much effect on the sales. For example, if you are selling female clothing then it might prove beneficial to promote on Pinterest as a majority of the users are females. Google Analytics is a very important tool that can be used to analyze the traffic on your website. It will give you an insight into your audience’s minds and their interaction patterns and will help you develop better content as well as a marketing strategy.
Social media marketing is something which should not be taken lightly as it can affect your business and lead to a decrease in overall conversions. To have an upward moving graph when it comes to sales, businesses must devise an effective social media marketing strategy and execute it wisely.