Search Engine Optimization, abbreviated as SEO is the process of boosting a website’s presence on the World Wide Web by improving their Google search result rankings. Google search result rankings are the placement of a website’s result after someone looks up a specific keyword.
Let us see an example. Consider your website is called xyz.com and you sell mobile covers in Hyderabad when someone searches for “mobile covers in Hyderabad” your website should show up in the search results. If your website shows up 7th on the list, for example, your Google ranking for the keyword “mobile covers in Hyderabad” is 7.
Improving these rankings makes your business more noticeable and makes customers highly likely to buy your product, avail your service, or give you that website traffic.
There are many ways to make your website SEO friendly. It all starts at your website, optimizing it and fixing bugs that can hamper your website’s pages being picked up by Google’s and other search engine’s algorithms, which are constantly changing and evolving.
There are many other vital steps in the process of SEO. One of these important steps is Link Building.
The basic idea of link building is to place links on the World Wide Web that take a user back to your website. This is done by meticulously placing links on third party sites, for example, by hyperlinking keywords to your website on related topic blogs on various blog hosting websites amongst many others.
These back-links are always going to be a relevant way of practicing high-grade SEO for your website, regardless of how many changes the Google algorithms go through.
Like most things on the internet, link building can be done the right or the wrong way. The best way to build links in the healthiest way possible is to do it naturally. This means earning links, rather than buying them. For the long-term viability of your business, you must engage in natural link-building only.
The easy and the wrong way is called black-hat SEO where you can buy links and use manipulative tactics to get the links out there. This tactic can get your website banned from the internet, which is why you want to stay away from these.
Why is Link Building Important for SEO?
As mentioned above, Link Building is one of those methods which are going to be ever gold if you want your website to perform better on the internet. You must build high-quality links, especially in today’s online climate, where quality is everything.
A note from Google says, “In general, webmasters can improve the rank of their sites by increasing the number of high-quality sites that link to their pages”. Here are the essentials to keep in mind when Link Building is concerned.
• High-quality websites, with authority and trust of linking pages.
• Proper and engaging anchor text for incoming links.
• SEO and content optimization for both the respective sites.
Strategies and Tips for Simple Link Building
The idea is to get higher ranking for the keywords you’re targeting by getting external websites hosting content similar or related to your product and services, back to your website. There are many strategies that one can employ.
Here are a few Strategies for Link Building:
• Blogs, Articles, & Press Releases – The phrase “content is king” is used so much in the digital marketing profession for a reason. High-quality engaging content is the perfect way to pepper-up your customers before they get to your website.
Your customers are already warm towards your product or service if they’ve been reading a related blog or article. The best thing they can find throughout the blog is keywords linking them to your website, where they can avail of the said product or service!
• Reviews & Mentions- When your product or service is mentioned or reviewed by a reputed website, it gives your brand image, an air of legitimacy in the eyes of your customer. This psychology works for almost every business that has a market of consumers buying products and services.
Review websites are gold mines for back-linking your website. If the said reviewer has a large influence on the market, half your job is done right there.
• Links form Friends and Family- When your circle of friends, family, and partners share and link to your site it will increase the magnitude of your presence online. Links from sites and pages that have relevance to your niche will be way more effective than random websites hosting your links.
The Easy & Free Way- Internal Link Building
One underrated way to get your website’s search result rankings up is by employing this super easy method that you have total control over. Internal link building is a method where you inter-link pages in your domain.
To do this, you can make new pages with blogs and other forms of engaging content that redirects people to product pages, or your website’s home page, etc. Since it is under your domain only, you can do it for free!
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
• Anchor text of your hyper-links has to be relevant. Anchor texts work best when they are not related to your brand, your company name, or anything unique. They work best when they are keywords that catch people’s attention straight away.
• The page that you’re hosting this content on, has to be of high quality. Google and other search engines will rank these pages higher, only if they are safe, trusted, and of high quality with relevant content.
• It is very important to establish variety when you’re linking pages. Many times when people work on internal linking, they’ll just link keywords to their homepage. This makes it very difficult for other pages of relevance to achieve any ranking.
In conclusion, this has been a fair introduction to the basic tactics and strategies of Link Building. If you are about to start your own link building campaign, one important thing to keep in mind is, THINK ABOUT QUALITY; Quality of web pages that you’re linking to, quality of anchor words, hosting websites, everything.
It is exceedingly difficult to build links that take a user to low quality, under valuable pages. But if you’re working with share-worthy content, link building feels more successful and is much more fun to do!
**This blog is compiled by Divyanshu Gupta