Banner ads are a rectangular graphic display on a webpage. Banner ads are purely image based as opposed to text advertisements. They contain either minimal or no text. And hence, they are capable of catching more human attention than simple ads. Banner ads are created and used with the intention of driving significant traffic to a particular website or landing page. They should be catchy and should immediately compel the user to click. The first banner ad was launched on hotwired.com in October 1994. It was simple and contained a colourful image with the text persuading the user to click.
Banner ads should be aimed towards attracting users at first sight. Some of the best banner ads have this aptitude as seen below.
When it comes to Amazon, banner ads will be more effective and beneficial as everyone visiting the site is a customer and has come on the site to purchase. It may be considered similar to announcements made about promotions in real-life stores. The Amazon customer base sums up to over 300 million worldwide. These customers are continuously revisiting the site (on a regular basis) and thus re-marketing is also made easy on online marketplaces for banner ads.
Amazon has recently launched a mandatory seller criterion to have a minimum sale of 3 lacs before you may begin banner advertisements. Amazon charges costs for banner ads using two models – the CPM (cost per impression) and CPC (cost per click). The CPM model charges according to the number of times the banner is viewed by users and the CPC model charges on the number of times a banner is clicked on. Apart from this, there are certain criteria that the ads should comply with when a seller opts for banner ads. Here is the checklist for Banner advertisements on Amazon:
- Adult products, alcohol, drugs, weapons, pharmaceutical drugs and other illegal products are not permitted for the CPC model
- Religious/political/provocative images/texts should not be included in banner creatives
- Amazon logo should not be included in banner creatives
There are few points that should be considered when designing the banner ad campaigns:
- The landing page of the banner click should have a minimum of 3 ASINs
- If the landing page is a product detail page, the banner should contain only one product image
- If the landing page is search result page or a storefront page, the banner can contain more than one product/image. And in this case, all products should be of the same brand
A general check of grammatical errors and product placement always helps in improvement of results. As mentioned earlier, banner ads are all about stimulating the user to click. This directly means that design plays a big role in the campaign. Designing should be well dealt with and reproduced to an intuitive creative for banner ads to be success.
Amazon provides specifications for all banner ads that it supports. Take a look at the details for further information and go ahead with Banner advertisements to achieve greater sales. Contact us for banner ad designs and campaigns.